Castlio Elementary was named after Hiram Beverly Castlio, affectionately known as “Uncle Bev.” He was the nephew of Francis Howell, Jr., and one of three directors named in Howell’s will to build and supervise the Francis Howell Institute. Mr. Castlio served without pay in that position from the time the Institute opened its doors in 1881 until1895. Under his leadership and direction, it became the center of higher education in St. Charles County. At one time, it was estimated that more than half of the teachers in the county had attended Francis Howell Institute. When Mr. Castlio died in 1904, he bequeathed $10,000 to the Institute. His love for public education has continued on through our elementary school.

Castlio Elementary School first opened on July 27, 1981. At the time of it’s opening, it included 20 regular classrooms, four special education classrooms, an art room, a resource center, an office, and a gym that also served as the cafeteria. Because the school was built on a 100-acre site, there were thoughts that a middle school or high school would be included in the future. However, that never occurred.



Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2022 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.